Saturday, February 9

Burlap Christmas Stockings

3. Christmas stockings for the door

I was given one of those door stockings as a wedding gift (3) years ago. I thought to myself...as I usually do with these kinds of gifts.. "I could totally make that myself!" Well, I tried it out that year, made 2 for some friends for Christmas, then this past Christmas I decided to finish up the burlap and paint that I already had and make more for the entire family!

Here is how to make them:


  1. trace out a large stocking pattern with newspaper or poster board.
  2. trace with sharpie onto the burlap, make sure to do 2 per stocking you want to make!
  3. lay them out and paint...I did red spray paint for the body, and white paint (a bucket of oops paint from Home Depot in just flat white). I found that painting with actual paint was A LOT easier than spray painting the white on. Also, for the polka dots (if desired), just spin a cheap paint brush in one spot to create the perfect circle.

   
make sure you paint the backside as well, and that you do the flip side. I just do solid red and white, no polka dots

   4.   After all of the paint is dry, bring inside and pair them up!
   5.   Take a small bottle of black acrylic paint with the fine tip and draw a messy line all the way around.     
         outline the white areas as well, and add some "stitch" marks in there!
   6.   Once the black paint is dry, hot glue the bottom toe area and heel and start to stuff with whatever you
          have on hand. I used old grocery bags since I always have a million of them...


   7.   After you stuff it all the way, finish up the edges with more hot glue



   8.   After everything is set, grab some thick, but bendable wire. Poke holes through in the top corners
         leaving excess on both ends. Then just take pliers and twist into a random bundle to "tie" off the ends



Voila!

(Sorry there aren't more pictures, that was the husband's job and he kinda slacked...)

Total project cost: $10  would be more if I had to go get all new materials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment